Wendlandt's 187xx Series Flat Car

For the 187xx flat cars I used Atlas Master ACF 89ft Southern Pacific flats cars. I used Walthers Solvaset to remove the Reporting marks, road numbers, and other decals that aren't on the ARR cars. Use photos for each car you are doing. Tru-Color Tuscan Red was used to do the patch outs. Hind sight I should of done a light fade before the patch's were painted so there would be a little more definition. I painted the car with gloss to blend the decals better. The decals that were used are Microscale MC-4389 reflectors, Microscale 90101 Railroad Gothic letters and numbers white, and the load limit decals were from a custom run of Wisconsin Central decals that my buddy had (so another decal will have to be substituted). The car was then sealed with Dullcote. I wanted the trailer hitches to be on along with the container locks. The containers don't fit with the factory hitches so they had to be modified so they could be seen if the cars were to be run empty. The end hitches don't have to be modified if no container locks are installed on that end. The pictures below show the modified hitches. For the container locks they were glued on with CA glue. The containers that would go on the cars were used as guides so the containers would fit perfectly on them. The ramps were trimmed down per prototype pictures. Also the grab irons on the trimmed side were removed and the bolt detail removed. Squadron putty was used to fill the holes. It was then painted and the decals were installed and sealed. The car was then weathered, sealed and then the sides were painted gloss to put the reflector decals on. A final coat of Dullcote was put on the car. Kadee #58 couplers were put on and the tips of the air hoses were painted silver.

image image image
image image image
image image image
image image image
image image image
image image image
image image image
image image image
image  


 

Back