This is F-7A #1504, at least when I get decals for it. This started life as a Bachmann stock model that I bought from eBay a couple of years ago. I took the shell off and cut away the passenger pilot and added a Details West PL-160 F unit plow. Bachmann in their infinite wisdom decided to have a metal lip from the flat edge of the weight, go right behind the pilot. That made it impossible to glue the plow to the body. So I had to take a hacksaw to it and cut the lip off flat.
After that, I was able to put 0.10 styrene on the plow face and cut it to the right shape to match the ARR F unit plows. I cut away and plated the first fan like the prototype, and built the winterization hatch, by putting two together. Next I drilled all the holes for the ladder grabs, grab irons, roof grab irons and lift rings. That took the most time since I didn't want to mess it up. Next I put on the sunshades and strobe light.
I finished up the model by adding MU hoses and painting all
the grab irons. I used Polyscale CNW Yellow, it was the best match to the Bachmann
yellow. The grab irons I used came from CalScale F unit detail set, the nose
grab irons came from Details West, as well as the horn and winterization hatch.
All this unit needs now is number decals and a train. It's a good weekend project
that brings a Bachmann toy to better represent a classic locomotive.