P-24 URB Power Car - This car was used to power Refrigerated
or Temperature controlled URB's. The URB was placed on the open (Flat) part
of the car, and power lines hooked up to the power unit on P-24. URB meant "Unit
Rail Box" and was ARR's early term for what's now known as a Container.
ARR was a pioneer in containerization and intermodal services.
Photo courtesy of the Don Marenzi Collection
The car itself started life as part of a large group of Gondolas built for the
US Government during WWII. It was assigned to (and lettered for) the D&RGW.
During WWII these cars were used to haul steel from the then new Geneva steel
mill in Utah for the war effort. The ARR acquired these cars as war surplus.
It became one of the ARR 13200 class Gondolas. In the late 1950's the sides
were cut down, and it was converted to a 12500 class Piggyback Flatcar. After
that it became the Power Car #P-24. 1974