This beauty was built for ICC/Panana by Alco/Brooks in January 1906.
The Alaska Railroad acquired it in January 1922, but retirement date is
unknown. In the photo above, it appears to be in the Anchorage Yard.
An historical footnote accompanies number 601. In 1944, a bull moose
delayed five Alaska Railroad trains, including number 601, for over
four hours. Employees repeatedly tried to entice the moose from the
tracks. The crew eventually got off the train and tried to chase
it away. The hostile animal lowered its head and charged. The
men immediately hopped back onto the train. They then tried to get
the moose off the tracks by ringing the bell, blowing the whistle and throwing
snowballs. The moose refused to budge. Despite the fact that
moose were out of season, the Game Commission gave permission for the crew
to shoot the moose. A single gun shot brought the moose's stubborn
behavior to an end. The railroad brought the dead moose to the Eklutna
Vocational School to use as meat.
Clayton Tinkham photo, Jack Klingbeil Collection