This beauty was built for ICC/Panama by Alco/Brooks in January 1906.
The Alaska Railroad acquired it in January 1922, but its retirement date is
unknown. As an important historical footnote, number 618 was driven by
President Harding during his 1923 visit to drive the golden spike marking the
completion of the Alaska Railroad. In the photo above, #618 is at the Spencer
gravel pit in 1944.
Photo courtesy of Carl Freshour