The 200 series locomotives were purchased from the American Locomotive Company
in 1906 by the U. S. Government for the Panama Canal Commission. In the fall
of 1915, some of these locomotives were shipped to Anchorage for use by the Alaskan
Engineering Commission, and the balance arrived in Alaska in 1916. These locomotives
were built as 60-inch gauge and the A.E.C. converted them for use on standard
56.5-inch gauge track by installing wider driver tires.