Number 1072 is an Alco RF1A. It was originally built as an RSD1 in
1943 (builder #70673) for the U.S. Army, #8052. The Alaska Railroad purchased
and rebuilt it in 1950. It was retired and scrapped in 1973.
Two of the four remaining Alaska RR Alco RS-1’s with cabs were reactivated
in August 1971 to relieve a power shortage. Built in February 1943 for the US
Army for service in Iran, the ARR purchased the engines and had the shroud applied
In this photograph, number 1072 is stopped at the Curry Hotel (at right).
Photographer courtesy of Albert W. Bailey